9.07.2012

Alice's doll quilt



When we went to Myrtle Beach for our family vacation last month, Josh drove and so I needed to have something to do with my hands. 

Hours of just sitting there? Ok. Occasionally, handing things back to the kids, but otherwise needing something to do with my hands.


So, I grabbed a stash of fabrics that looked like they would go well together and my sewing essentials. 


I snipped and stitched and felt like I was playing a form of fabric tetras. 

And, of course, loved every minute of it.



This is the finished quilt top.


The backing.


I didn't add any batting. I just quilted the 2 pieces together. I cut a skinny length of fabric to help guide my quilting lines.


I eyed the width for the batting. And counted my blessings for randomly having a safety pin with me.


The binding fabric and the little square on the bottom left {also the middle fabric on the backing} is some that I bought from PurlSOHO back in the Spring.


And despite all of the fabrics being pretty mismatched, I think they all ended up working really well together.


I LOVE hand quilting!


...and a perfect fit for her pirate doll!

2 comments:

jeanine said...

I love it! It is so so cute... and you are so talented!

Solviej said...

I would never of thought of bringing a long a quilting project for a car ride. You do making exceedingly good quilts. It's funny because I'm working on a quilt right now that's using a couple of fabrics I bought at Purl Soho when I was there in December. I love that place, what did you think of it?