1.09.2014

quilt for Anna

Last year my friend, Anna, brought me a quilt that she had tried to make. It just working out for her and wanted to barter services. I was so excited! You see, Anna works wonders with ceramics and I couldn't wait to get myself some of her pottery. 




It took a bit of work but I was happy to do it. And she did give me the layout of how she wanted it and the corner blocks on the quilt top finished. I assembled the top as best as I could and wound up with this beauty. 


I had a great time free motion quilting it, too. There are the flower shapes along the border. I used chalk to hand draw out the flower shapes and then  traced the chalk with the free motion foot. I quilted in the ditch on the center. It emphasized that beautiful pattern.


There wasn't enough of any one fabric to do a solid backing and I didn't want Anna to have to go out and buy any more fabric so I pieced these blocks together. I did my best to do blocks similar to the blocks and patterns on the quilt top. I really like how it turned out.


Here's a close up of the quilting in the ditch for the center quilt top pattern.


And the free motion flowers. This was my first attempt and this design and I'm quite proud of it. This is such a beautiful and cherished quilt. 

I can't wait to show you the bowls I received in return!!

No comments: